Friday, November 2, 2007

Finer Things Club

I have a confession to make: I co-founded a Finer Things Club at work three months ago. It is so much fun, we talk about paintings, novels, classical music, etc., and drink tea. Then the cool people around here give us bubbler rides and atomic wedgies.

Really though, how funny was that? Does anyone else have something like that in their workplace? The closest thing we have at KP is a group of people who get together and play a game called Cineplexity, which as far as I can tell is about movie trivia and planning for the next game of Cineplexity. Best line of the night, from Oscar: “Aside from having sex with men, the Finer Things Club is the gayest thing about me.”

Pretty good episode, not side splitting, but kept me grinning from end to end. (That’s what she said!)

-Good for Karen landing regional manager of the Utica branch. She’s a smart cookie and deserves it. That whole poaching Stanley plotline was interesting, as was Michael’s conversation with her. “OK then … wait Karen, one more thing. Can you transfer me to one of your salespeople? Your best one?”

-Michael talking to the Utica salesperson: “No, I fired them (the Stamford holdovers), and you’re next! … So what do you say?”

-Loved the homage to Ferris Bueller. For being such an iconic movie for people our age, it’s surprising we don’t see more of those. From the start I was thinking what Stanley ended up saying: “How is you sleeping at your desk better than you not being here?”

-Michael to Stanley: “Mo’ money, mo’ problems – you of all people should know that, Stanley.”

-Dwight: “I think I cut my penis on the can.”

-Phyllis on why she used the break room microwave to make popcorn: “Someone needs to clean (the microwave in the kitchen), it smells like popcorn.”

-Dwight: “The eyes are the groin of the head.” To which Jana replies “That’s so true!” How does she know that?

Michael to Stanley: “Fly away sweet little bird, fly away and be free.”

Michael over the walkie-talkie to Jim, about Karen: “Just climb on top of her and think of Stanley.”

Lastly, for the second straight week we see evidence of other members of the office finding themselves annoyed by Jim. To reiterate, love Jim, obviously think he’s the coolest guy there and want to see him pimp everyone else, but it’s only realistic that not everyone would love him and what he does. The final credits scene where the guys bury him on Angela’s Ashes was humbling, and he deserved it.

And check out this shirt I found on aintitcool.com, commemorating Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race For The Cure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting tidbit about Karen Filippelli / Rashida Jones: Her sister was engaged to Tupac when he was killed. I am pretty sure that Will B brought this to my attention last year.

RIP Tupac and Biggie Smalls.

Anonymous said...

I watched this last night when I got home. I pretty much passed out midway through and then deleted it for some reason. I'll have to go online to check it out. Damn you whiskey. Damn you to hell!

Anonymous said...

You should know that one of the designers of Cineplexity was editor-in-chief of the Cardinal from 99-00.

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping