Sunday, February 3, 2008

Badger coaching tree, part 3

Last week our HR director walked into my office and noticed a picture of Camp Randall Jana got me for Christmas. We talked about Badger football for a bit, and he told me his cousin's husband used to play for UW back in the day and they went to a lot of games.

"What's his name?" I asked, expecting it to be someone like Ryan Sondrup.

"Tim Krumrie," he said.

Oh, he didn't live on my dorm floor freshman year, but I've heard of him. Later I raved about Krumrie's record-setting UW career to Jana, who nodded lovingly as the statistics went in one ear and out the other.

It got me to thinking that I hadn't included Krumrie and a few others on the first two rounds of my Badger coaching tree (round 1, round 2), so here's Round Three.

-Krumrie is now the Chiefs' defensive line coach. Saw him a lot on HBO's training camp show. He's doing a great job in KC with guys like Jared Allen and Tamba Hali, wouldn't be surprised if he got a coordinator look soon.

-Todd Strop played at UW under Barry and was UW-Stout's head coach for a few years before stepping down amidst some ugliness. He's now the special teams coach at South Dakota.

-Bob Docherty is the tight ends coach at UW-Oshkosh.

-Darryl Sims, a former first round draft pick after a great defensive line career in Madison, coached at Oshkosh while I was covering the team, then was head coach of the Cologne Centurions in NFL Europe, then coached with the Raiders. He was a finalist for the Oshkosh head coaching job that went to Pat Cerroni. Good guys, both.

-Ryan Englebert, who started his career at UW before transferring to Stout, is Stout's running backs coach.

-Lance Leipold, who led UW-Whitewater to the Division III national championship in his first season as head coach, was a graduate assistant under Barry from 1991-93. Learning about Leipold's UW ties made me think of him as a possible candidate in the event Bielema leaves in the near future - a candidate in the mold of Jim Tressel, an inspired hire by Ohio State. Then again, let's see who he does with his own recruits.

Love that the list keeps on growing, and these are only pro and college guys. There have to be many more former Badgers coaching high school ball, right? Any leads?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice find on Lance. My Warhawks D-3 championship hoodie showed up here yesterday and I'll be wearing it to a SB party today. Do you know what other D-1 coach was a part of the same UWW backfield as Lance? (BC's Jeff Jagodzinski - solid RB in his collegiate days.)
Austy

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping