Monday, September 29, 2008

Chutes and Ladders

Several Michigan fans have begun making comments here taking me to task for my postgame ranting and raving, and in fairness, they aren't out of line. As much as I preach with Will (and soon Charlie) the importance of being a good loser, my demeanor in the aftermath of yesterday's game was similar to Will losing a game of Chutes & Ladders to his grandma after missing his afternoon nap.

(Speaking of chutes, looks like we fell nine spots in the polls, not as far as I thought we would, actually.)

Two follow-up points on that:

1. If you're a passionate fan of a team, especially if it's your home state alma mater, chances are at some point you've lost a heartbreaker and lashed out at the opposing team and its fans. If you haven't, God bless you, you're a better person than me. Or you were wise enough not to post your emotions on the Internet.

If you're a Michigan fan, tell me you haven't felt ill toward Michigan State or Ohio State or Notre Dame fans after losing a winnable game against them.

2. One comment alluded to my one-sided rivalry/obsession. He's right, that's a good characterization of it, even though it casts me in a negative light. Wisconsin-Michigan football should be a run-of-the-mill inferiority complex.

But it was personalized for me on New Year's Day 1998. Our team had been overpicked into the Outback Bowl and was getting waxed by Georgia. My brother and I were watching it at a restaurant in Ixtapa, Mexico, and was the Bulldogs dominated us, a pair of men dressed in Michigan apparel (waiting for the Rose Bowl later that day; they shared the national title that year) snickered and celebrated as Mike Bobo or whoever the hell Georgia's quarterback was played us like a JV team. Until that point, I had hoped Michigan would win the national title later that day -- you know, for conference pride. But those two pricks completely changed my view of Michigan fans, and I've met enough of them since then that have reinforced that view. Most Badger and Big Ten fans have.

Of course, I've also met many other perfectly wonderful people who pull for the Wolverines. I just forget their names when we line up against Michigan.

That said, let's address a point I think all three Michigan commenters made, that their team has superior conditioning and our team is fat. Pretty sure this plays on the rave reviews of Michigan's strength and conditioning coach Rich Rodriguez brought from West Virginia, who is reportedly much more innovative and demanding than Lloyd Carr's guy.

Even though I touched on our defense's fatigue, I disagree that our O-line's size, or P.J.'s size (he's smaller than ever, actually) contributed to poor conditioning that was our downfall. The offensive shortcomings, in a nutshell, were:

-Missing our two top receiving threats for most of the game
-Receivers dropping passes
-Quarterback throwing inaccurately, and at times taking strange-looking drops
-Subsequent Michigan defensive adjustment putting more tacklers in the box than we could block
-Curious offensive play-calling

The comment that our coaching staff didn't make adjustments as well as Michigan's was dead-on. So was the one that Michigan's five turnovers constituted a huge break for us -- one which we certainly didn't capitalized on enough, certainly not as much as they did on ours. And we were overrated. The offense played like this against Fresno, but I attributed that to conservative play calling in a tight game and what I thought was a good Fresno defense, the same one that gave up 54 points to Toledo.

This weekend has been an emotional roller coaster, thankfully ending on a high note with the Brewers clinching a playoff berth for the first time since I was 7. Part of me wishes I'd just not written anything after yesterday's game, the comments keep reminding me of what happened. But that's part of being a fan, dealing with the bad just as you'd enjoy the good. It's not like we haven't had tough losses before ... more on that tomorrow.

Good or bad, blogging is cathartic. Thanks for reading.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a big post.

The only team I ever root against in bowls is aOSU, conference pride be damned. Sorry you had a bad experience in the '98 bowls.

Anonymous said...

ditto - only root against o$u. you must have run into some non-alum fanbase.

good commentary. best part of the game for me was having my 9 year old and his two hockey teammates see first hand what it means to never give up. we're gonna lay some more eggs this season, which won't make you guys feel any better.

Coach Scott Tappa said...

I'll give you that - Michigan deserves lots of credit for not giving up, as they easily could have after that first half.

Even-Keeled Wolverine said...

Strong response, you're a big man Tappa. Go Brewers.

Edward said...

Scott, I hate to go here but... wait until Basketball. Weneed to beat Michigan by 40!

That loss Sat was too mindblowin to deserve further comment. No loss has hurt so much since Northwestern 1996 or the Bret Bell Michigan game.

Agree about the Michigan fans, but hey, they won. Let's take our medicine and throw darts at pictures of Kendricks and Jefferson.

Coach Scott Tappa said...

Bringing up '96 Northwestern and Brett Bell is the perfect segueway into the post I hope to write tonight, Edward, thanks!

Mike said...

I went looking on these 'internets' trying to gauge the response of Badger fans to that game. This was really the only Wisconsin blog I could find that has been updated in the last 2 months.

There has got to be some kind of market opportunity in this regard. Scott, if you stepped up your game, did just a bit of design work on your blog, and posted useful info you could probably have yourself a loyal following.

Coach Scott Tappa said...

Thanks for the comment Mike (I think). I am constantly torn about how much to push this thing. You're right, there is a great opportunity there. But I have a job, a supportive wife and two kids, and when I spend too much time on this it feels like cheating them. It would have to pay off with a significant amount of side revenue for me to devote more time to it, and that's hard to see. Even though there aren't a lot of independent Badger bloggers out there, there are still plenty of good sources for news and fan commentary on the web.

TFeuling said...

As a diehard Badger fan that attends Washington State University...do not apologize for your comments after the game- Like you said, its what happens when your favorite team falls off the mountain...especially against a conference rival. Watchin the game saturday was one of the toughest Badger games to watch in a long, long time. Hopefully Bucky can pull it together for the Buckeyes and keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

jordans
christian louboutin shoes
jordan shoes
oakley sunglasses
gucci outlet
oakley vault
polo ralph lauren
michael kors outlet
ray bans
cheap oakley sunglasses
nike basketball shoes
hollister clothing
coach outlet store online clearances
longchamp bags
oakley sunglasses
nike trainers
coach factory outlet
nike huarache shoes
christian louboutin outlet
christian louboutin outlet
giuseppe zanotti sneakers
insanity workout
oakley sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors outlet
kevin durant shoes
michael kors outlet online
michael kors outlet
jordan concords
michael kors handbags
louis vuitton outlet stores
oakley sunglasses
michael kors outlet
adidas originals shoes
kate spade handbags
louis vuitton outlet
gucci
christian louboutin outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
ralph lauren polo
20165.18wengdongdong

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping