Friday, February 13, 2009

A coin-related Badger anecdote

You probably didn't think I could squeeze a University of Wisconsin-related story out of my trip to Germany, but here it is:


The director of the U.S. Mint is a fellow named Ed Moy. A few months ago I read in our alumni magazine that he is a UW graduate. The U.S. Mint is the largest manufacturer of coins, medals, and numismatic products; you may be familiar with its products -- quarters, dimes, pennies. Ed is the guy in charge.
In Berlin we held our annual Coin of the Year awards, and the U.S. Mint won awards in three categories. I had the chance to meet and talk with Ed a bit before the ceremony, at which time I brought up the UW connection. He asked here I lived and I told him Lakeshore freshman year, and he said he did too, in Sullivan Hall, first floor.
Small world! I'm guessing the painting of Paul Ranheim on the wall across from Room 129 wasn't there when Ed was in school, but still a cool connection to make in Germany.

No comments:

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping