Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Attaboy Prince!

Earlier tonight I started that home run poll in the upper-right hand corner of this page, and I voted for Hall. I just love when his swing gets flat and extended and the ball just sails into left-center.

But after Prince's two jacks tonight, I should reconsider. Off the top of my head I can think of many of my favorite Prince bombs:

-His first, two years ago, same night Weeks hit his first.
-The one he hit to beat the Reds back in early August.
-Tonight's two.

Made me remember sitting on a plane to Vegas four years ago reading Moneyball, where Billy Beane and Michael Lewis (author) were ruminating about what an awful choice Prince was at #7. Good call, guys!

More good memories to take with us into the winter if the season ends on Sunday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Prince is doing his thing. Hopefully, Lewis will address this in his Moneyball sequel that he's working on. Although it's sad that Prince and his father have such a horrible relationship. Who knows the real story, I'm sure Cecil did wrong things, but I'm sure he did plenty right as well. It's too bad. I remember watching one of those MTV Rock-N-Jock games where Prince actually played!

I voted for Braun....he might be the next Hank Greenberg! Gabe Kapler didn't work out so well.

Coach Scott Tappa said...

I didn't realize Lewis was doing a Moneyball sequel.

It'll be interesting to see how all these genius A's draft picks have panned out over the past 4-5 years.

I really liked that book, and would also recommend his book about left tackles, The Blind Side.

Anonymous said...

Here's an excerpt from an interview he did a while ago. It's before The Blind Side came out. I've heard him mention it in other interviews as well. I'm guessing the book would have to come out in 2007 or 08 if he wants to stick with his five-year plan

........................................................

ML: I have several thoughts. I can’t tell you what book is going to come out first but I know I am writing a sequel to Moneyball. And I said that when I sold it, it’s not just one book, it’s two books. And I had that eureka moment when I walked out of the 2002 draft, “Not only do I want to explain what they are doing but I want to follow these kids that they have drafted in this unusual way in a kind of Hoop Dreams way—through the minor leagues and use them to write about that experience.” It’s going to be called Underdogs. It will take another five years. That’s what I do during the baseball season. I’ll go to Midland Texas and Sacramento and Modesto, Calif., where they’re playing in minor league games. There is every possibility that the piece that I just published in the Times magazine might spin out into something a little bigger—the piece about the coach. And I am also toying with the idea of a shorter book about football. And the attempt to apply this sort of thinking to football.

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping