Friday, September 21, 2007

I am Badgercentric

This morning I was sitting in a meeting/conference call with a vendor selling third party solutions for hosting social networking: user-uploaded video, blogs, message boards, etc., and the presentation and three cups of coffee got me thinking: why don’t I start a blog dedicated to Wisconsin sports? After all:

1. I am a former sports writer who still gets those urges every time I read a really good or really bad sports story.
2. I have maintained a blog in the past, albeit one covering pole barns and metal roofs.
3. I am, as the name of this blog and post infer, Badgercentric. The title was given to me by my brother-in-law Nick. During a family game the goal was to describe ourselves in two words; I chose “family man or something sentimental like that, and Nick chose “Badger-centric,” which was, sadly, just as accurate. The above photo, taken on Christmas Day, is my attempt to be both with my son Will.

But really, isn’t this a great time to be Badgercentric? (And by Badgercentric, I mean a fan of Wisconsin, not just University of Wisconsin, sports.) The Badger football team is in the top 10 and the basketball team was ranked #1 in February. The Brewers are in a pennant race for the first time in 15 years. The Packers are off to a good start.

Then again, check back here Monday. The Badgers could go back to losing to Iowa every year, the Brewers could be 4-1/2 game back of the hated Cubs, and LT could score five touchdowns against the Pack on Sunday. So better to start this today, just in case!

So here it is, whipped up over my lunch break, the Badgercentric blog. Basically, it will be my thoughts and conversations with friends and family regarding the sports teams and athletes we love. It will be recaps of games I just watched or attended. It will be links to stories from our state and national sports media. It will be rants and raves.

And just so we’re clear from the start, here’s who we’re rooting for, in descending order or fervor:
University of Wisconsin football or basketball (whichever’s in season)
Milwaukee Brewers
Green Bay Packers
Milwaukee Bucks
Other UW sports, particularly hockey
Wisconsin golfers: Steve Stricker, Jerry Kelly, et al
Wisconsin drivers, especially Matt Kenseth (this might come as a surprise)
Other Wisconsin natives not tied to a state team or school (like Tony Romo or Nick Van Exel)

Here’s who we’re rooting against, in descending order of fervor:
Chicago Cubs
University of Michigan football
The Ohio State University football
Chicago Cubs
North Carolina basketball
University of Minnesota hockey
Chicago Cubs
University of Illinois basketball
Northwestern University
Chicago Cubs

Here’s who we don’t like, but we’re trying to develop a healthier attitude about:
Marquette University basketball

Hoping to post every day (not this long), but you know how it is with a job, kid, and a life. But check back often, comment often, and go 1-0 today! ;)

2 comments:

Jim Austin said...

This should be entertaining - I've missed your rants since you moved to the other end of the building.
Austy

Anonymous said...

How do you have the Bucks ahead of Badger Hockey on your rooting priority list?? Explain that one to me T$ . . . how many titles have the Bucks won for you the last 20 years . . . how many times have they played varsity at a bucks game . . . if you had tickets to the Bucks-Bulls and Badgers-Gophers, which game are you going to??? (note my excessive use of question marks). I would like to cite the fact the Gophers made your hated list and the Bulls were no where to be found on the list as Exhibit A.

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping