Thursday, September 27, 2007

To Sheets or not to Sheets

Over the years, our good friend Walt Landvatter has been as astute an observer of the Brewers as anyone this side of Tom Haudricourt. So I read with interest his email sent earlier today. Vent away, Walt.

This has been bothering me so I thought I would vent to you since you are a big Brewer fan. I'm not sure if you know, but I have hated Ben Sheets for the last 2-3 years, maybe longer. I just think that he is a slob and doesn't take care of himself and that is why he gets non typical pitching injuries. I don't think he puts anything else into it other than his god given talent to throw high 90's and a very good curve. I've watched him at practice and he is lazy!!!! Nothing pisses me off more that when people call him the ace. An ace is someone that you can count on to pitch. I would rather see him blow his elbow or shoulder out because that would show he was at least pitching.

We are in the last week of the season and he says that he won't pitch unless he is 100%. That is such bull____. Does he not think that everyone else on that pitching staff doesn't have some type of injury. He has been on this team for seven years and this is the first times he has had the chance to pitch in meaningful games and he won't unless he is 100%.

Is it just me or should he wrap that hamstring strain (not tear) up and go and pitch. He can rest all off season if he makes it worst. We need his arm to get to the playoffs. I can't stand his work ethic and attitude. I just want to reach through the T.V. and strangle him every time I see him in the dug out chewing on his fingers.

Very good points, and deserved criticism. The one point I would argue is the nature of some of Sheets' injuries - like a finger - that in my opinion are freak. He's had so many that I think many of us, myself included, just considered him unlucky. But Walt's point that a subpar work ethic is to blame for much of this is valid.

He's sort of become the J.D. Drew of pitchers.

Being an Olympic hero, then the only good pitcher the franchise had for four years (sorry Jamey Wright), his flaws were probably downplayed by me and others. But it's reached the point where he better make 32 starts, win 15 games, and have a sub-3.50 ERA next year - with no trips to the DL - for Melvin and Attanasio to even think about re-signing him at an ace's salary.

What do you think? Vote in the poll above.

Oh, and Walt ended with this:

I just wanted to let you know that I really like your blog. I read it every morning. Keep up the good work. I'm nervous for this big weekend series.

Awww, I'm blushing. Hope we can keep this dialogue up, especially the Brewers stuff - the comments are great. Afraid that the Brewers material for the next couple months will be limited to Arizona Fall League reports.

1 comment:

Rob J said...

According to the Brewer web site, Sheets will be available in the bullpen this weekend. Better than nothing I guess.

Long term, I think the best option for the Brewers is to stick with him. What's the alternative? I don't see the Brewers trading Sheets for prospects when their best window for a World Series is the next 2-3 years (assuming they can't afford everyone). Trading him for another top-end starter would be difficult (he has some form of a no trade clause). His agent seems reasonable considering the 4-year, $38.5 mil deal Sheets signed after his 260+ K year which most people saw as a fair deal at the time.

Injury history or not, I feel better about the future of the Brewers having Sheets on the mound every five days. Even if he's the only guy capable of getting hurt while on the DL.

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping