Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Baseball playoff predictions

Yesterday a friend from work asked me what I thought of the upcoming baseball playoffs, and for some reason I said "I like the Angels." Even before they laid an egg tonight, I had changed my mind. So here goes:

American League
Red Sox over Angels in 4
Indians over Yankees in 3
Indians over Red Sox in 6

National League
Phillies over Rockies in 5
D-Backs over Cubs in 4
Phillies over D-Backs in 7

Indians over Phillies in 5.

I think Fausto Carmona (above) is like K-Rod in '02 and Beckett in '03 - a power pitcher introducing himself to the nation on the big stage. And this team won a very good division with a horrible year from Hafner, who is due; the only lefty of note among potential opponents is Pettitte. Hamels, Francis, Hill, and Lilly would be tough from the NL.

This will never happen, and shouldn't, but wouldn't it be great if the playoffs could be seeded 1-8 regardless of league? All four of those AL teams are vastly superior to all four NL teams; as the Cards showed last year, that doesn't mean much.

These NL teams are terribly shallow. For instance, I picked the D-Backs to beat the Cubs, even though I couldn't name one Arizona starter past Webb and Dougie Davis; can't name a Phillies starter past Hamels; know Francis and Fogg from Colorado. I know the Cubs pretty well, but that's only because they played the Brewers 45 times this season.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a big fan of this post. I'm hoping the utter domination of the Indians by the Yankess over the past two years continues.

Coach Scott Tappa said...

Just don't think the Yankees have the pitchers to win a short series against a very good team with two very good power pitchers. I have been wrong before. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping my new best A-Rod does his thing...just to shut people up. Maybe I've been reading too much Bill Simmons lately, but I like the Yankees chances with a lead late between Chamberlain and Rivera.

Anonymous said...

29833691750427282 Earthrise Discount DVD Box Sets newsletter in DVD Sets December, in DVD Boxed Sets addition to Boxed Set presenting the DVD Box Sets On Sale progress in the new fighting Boxed Set Dvds system and craft Boxed Sets of the game, find a letter DVD Boxed Set from Atanas Dvd Gift Set Atanasov, CEO Dvd Gift Sets of Masthead DVD BoxSet Studios, where DVD BoxSets we read that DVD Box Set Earthrise is DVD TV Series scheduled for DVD Box Sets release DVD Box Sets For Sale for third Best DVD Box Sets quarter of 2010.

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping