Friday, October 5, 2007

Wisconsin-Illinois predictions

Have a few minutes before the Iola-Scandinavia homecoming parade starts - day care takes Will and the kids down to watch, and it's fun to watch them ... the parade, not so much. Wanted to throw out some predictions for tomorrow's game.

-Jefferson has a big game. Illinois has a good corner that I think is going to limit Swan.
-PJ is going to carry the ball 40 times, or at least I hope so, because that will mean we're either winning or close. But I'm not predicting a 200-yard game or anything like that; as much as J Leman looks like a linebacker cliche/prototype (in the same sense as AJ Hawk or Brian Urlacher) - distinctive haircut, interesting name, talks a good game - I think the fellas are motivated to establih the run game after they took PJ out of last year's game, and Leman is held in check.
-Any runs that aren't from PJ will come from Gilreath or Beckum on end-arounds, and if they go single back when PJ is resting, it'll be Pressley or Rentmeester as the lone back for pass protection.
-Crooks is back this week, should help the running game, should be an upgrade over Mickey Turner.
-Ike has a shutdown game - on Benn?
-Casillas does a good job shadowing Juice Williams, but Hodge and the safeties struggle to contain Mendenhall.

It seemed like I had more thoughts than this while drifting off to sleep last night ... will add them later.

The fact that Illinois is favored in this one is getting a lot of play nationall, and it should because this sort of thing doesn't happen often. That, plus the fact that Illinois dominated us for a half last year in Madison, should provide all the motivation the Badgers need.

Wisconsin 26, Illinois 22

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vontae Davis is indeed solid, and I would like nothing more than for them to shadow Swan with Davis. I think that would open things up for Jefferson, Beckum and Graham in the passing game. It will be interesting to see if Leman can check Beckum in coverage, and I don't think that he can.

I'm just a little afraid of Illinois getting some play in the screen game. I hope that the staff allows Ike and Langford to play closer to the line, because I'm not afraid of the Illini beating the Badgers deep. It would be nice to see Ike against Benn all game long, leaving Langford on the #2 guy.

Hill goes for about 130 on 30 carries and the Badgers win 27-20.

Coach Scott Tappa said...

First of all, great to have you involved with the blog, Millie! I thought of you, Will, and Olson Sunday - I was watching the first half of the game at a BW3, in Appleton, and it reminded me of those times we watched NBA games on 20-cent Tuesdays. I think one of those nights was the genesis of the Big Red Lumbajack and Will's Spittin' G.

I'm really anxious to see Benn, to see if he's worth the hype.

On a related note (punch me if I'm meandering too much, Lucas-style): anyone watch that Alabama high school game last night? That Julio Jones, the #1 WR recruit (like Benn last year) is obviously a stud, but what struck me was how fast ALL of those kids were. Didn't Hoover (Two-A-Days) beat Daphne in the state title game two years ago?

Anonymous said...

It's possible. I tried to watch "Two-A-Days" but couldn't get past the stupid haircut that all the players had. Ruined it for me.

I watched one play of that game last night and Jones got hurt. Go figure. Cretin stud Michael Floyd is playing in the WBL tonight. I'm trying to figure out if I want to bring the kids to check out some local high school action.

Rob J said...

Hoover High Football Rules! My prediction for Saturday . . . Shootout in Champaign but Badgers win by double digits 41-31.

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping